Our team currently consists of Meenal Raval & Marion Biddle.
Meenal Raval has been actively promoting climate solutions since the 2015 Philadelphia Mayoral election and the discussions around an energy hub in Southport. In 2016, Meenal stepped up to help form the Northwest Philly Solar Co-op to encourage residential solar installations & to build a clean energy advocacy group. In 2017, Meenal invited friends to the initial gathering of Sierra Club’s Ready for 100 campaign in Montgomery County. To this day, she remains a catalyst for the Montco’s Ready for 100 team plus the Philly’s Ready for 100 team and leads to Solarize Southeast PA.
Today, she also leads the effort against PGW’s proposed LNG project, as well as the No Single-Use Plastics campaign. Her weekly publication of climate-related events has kept area groups connected to each other’s efforts. For the 2019 local elections, she has developed a public calendar of events where people can meet candidates and push this climate agenda.
Marion Biddle is passionate about solar energy — Analyzing data, helping people decide to move forward with projects to install solar, and strategizing how to increase the amount of solar on the electricity grid. For 29 years, Marion worked for the City of Philadelphia starting as a Recycling Specialist and ending as the Director of IT for the Streets Department. During that time Marion gained skills in strategic planning, project management, implementing new technologies, data analysis, supervising staff, working with engineers and field workers to ensure successful projects. Marion left the city in November of 2016 to follow her passion for solar energy, initially stepping up to join the board of the NW Philly Solar Co-op, and today, Solarize Southeast PA.
Our initial focus is the Greater Havertown region in Delaware County. However, we’re working with Ready for 100 teams in Delaware, Chester & Montgomery Counties, so stay tuned for info sessions in the region, and please contact us with your interest!
There have been other efforts to ramp up clean energy in Southeastern Pennsylvania, notably:
- Solarize Philly
- Northwest Philly Solar Co-op – This group organized 2 buying groups, the first in 2017 and the second in 2018.
- Solarize Center City – They had a kickoff event on October 5, 2016, led by Judy Wicks and Solar States. Read about it here. And since then, at least 3 outreach events.
- Solarize Greater Media – Organized by Transition Town Media and Solar States, about 50 households signed up in early 2016. Recruitment for this buying club ended in May 2016. More about this effort is found here. Also, see Installing Solar? Hookups not automatic, a January 2017 news article about their journey.
- Solarize NW Philly – Organized by Clean Air Council and the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadephia, in partnership with solar contractors Exact Solar and Solar States, this resulted in about 15 homes in the Northwest getting solarized. Recruitment ended January 2015, with most of the installations done in 2016.
We’re working with these local groups:
- Havertown Climate Action Network
- Haverford Partnership for Economic Development (HPED) | facebook.com/hped.org/
- Haverford Township Civic Council | haverfordlibrary.org/haverford-township-civic-council/
- Haverford Township Environmental Advisory Council (EAC)
- Ready for 100 in Chester County
- Ready for 100 in Delaware County
- Ready for 100 in Montgomery County
and many more!